Wednesday 2 March 2011

Too calm to be in labour ... you must be joking!

Baby number 2 is born ... Short version ...
 
More contractions Wed night, only turned out not to be wind this time
Thursday 3rd Feb woke up 4am.  Contractions still coming.
Little E dropped off at Childminders, and we are in the hospital 9am.
Examined and 2cm dilated, told can go home.
Refuse to go home, so given bed on anti natal ward.  Contractions are strong and I can feel my cervix dilating.
Tens machine set up 10am, and I started asking when can get gas and air.
Told over next few hours by midwives, contractions irregular, am not in labour, no gas and air on anti natal ward.  I am too calm to be in labour.
2.30pm waters break.  Midwives ask me if I am sure, and look disappointed when they find I am right.
Contractions start coming with no real break.  Still midwives are not convinced I am in labour as still too calm!
 
2.50pm connected to monitoring machine, told we will be checked in 10 minutes. Midwife goes on break and no-one comes back to check.
Buzzer pushed 20 mins ... we ask why we have not been checked.
Buzzer pushed 30 mins ... I tell them I can feel the head ... no reaction from midwives.
Me screaming 40 min .. FF goes to ask for pain relief.  Suddenly there are about 4 midwives coming to have a look.
 
Finally I am examined.  Midwife looks shocked and tells me I am 8 1/2 cm dilated, and they can feel the head.  Congratulated me in doing it with no pain relief, (they do not class tens as pain relief)
Tell me I can go to delivery suite. 
Moved to delivery suite 3.47 pm
FF helps me onto delivery bed.
Gas and Air (finally)
New midwife attempt to put monitoring belt on, gives up when she hears my scream.
Moves to the action end, tries to put on gloves ... no time as they are thrown aside and the head is out.
Next contraction the body is out, and my beautiful Baby J is born at 4pm.
 
No intervention, no pain relief, no pushing. 
Perfectly natural, perfectly relaxed, perfect Baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment