Tuesday 24 February 2009

Baby Massage - Sure Start

Today Baby E and I went to our first Baby Massage session. We registered for the course with our health visitors office at my local GP. The course is free and is part of the governments Sure Start Scheme which was set up to give every child the best start in life possible.
http://www.surestart.gov.uk/

There were 6 mums and babies on the course, which meant it was small enough to be relaxing and personable. The course was extremely well structured, and was run by two health visitors, one of whom is qualified in baby massage. This gives me the confidence that they are professional and qualified to coach on all aspects of looking after a baby.

We were given an informative booklet, which we will follow each week, and a bottle of oil suitable for massaging babies skin. We were advised on the types of oil to use on baby's skin, and why some oils may not be suitable for massage.

We were given time to introduce ourselves and our babies. Everyone seemed really lovely, and we all commented how great it was to meet like minded mothers, with babies who were born within six weeks of each other. Meeting new mums in a similar situation is great, and helps to re-assure my that everyone is the same, and all babies behave in the same way. It was a comfort to me that all the babies needed as much attention as Baby E does, Baby E was not the first to be rocked to sleep, however he was the first to need feeding!

We began this week by learning massage techniques on the legs and the feet. Baby E was so hungry we were not able to complete the whole of the massage, however I look forward to practicing at home. I fed Baby E during the coffee break, and used the excellent changing facilities. The course facilitators plan group discussions which start in the break so there is no long silences, or difficultly in striking up conversations with people you dont know. We were all free to join in if we wish, but there was no pressure if we did not want to share any experiences.

I have to miss next weeks session as we are away on holiday. I am quite sad about this, as I really enjoyed the course this morning. Part two is on baby weaning as well as more massage techniques. I am also looking forward to seeing the other mums again. They were all so nice, and it has made me consider joining more groups!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment