Friday 16 April 2010

Once you are in ... you are in!

I went for my pneumonia vaccination on Tuesday. I started phoning the doctors in March to book the appointment for the beginning of April only be bombarded with questions and comments from the receptionist like

"there is no such thing as a pneumonia booster!"
"have you had one before? When?"
"why do you need that?"
"who told you that you needed it?"

I don't know why, but for some reason the doctors receptionist has the ability to make me lose the ability to speak in audible sentences, and most of the time reduces me to tears over the phone within 5 minutes.

Fortunately the 3 times I tried to book the appointment and failed I was feeling on top form, was not hormonal, so did not come across as a blubbering wreak. I was however shocked into dumbfoundedness by the audacity of someone who is not medically trained that tries to tell ME that I do not need a vaccination that I have been having for the last 15 years, and that someone who had been training for over 20years in the medical profession told me I needed. Even a quick search on wikipedia (and we all know how accurate that is) will tell you that I need it!

So this week, I found myself opposite the nurse, who, rather than give me the required vaccination took one look at me, telephoned the receptionist and demanded I was immediately referred to see the GP. Turns out the little cough I've had for the last 10 days is a chest infection. I have already taken one course of antibiotics, which clearly did not work, so I am starting my second set of antibiotics in 2 weeks! Oh the joys of having a compromised immunity!

So no pneumonia vaccination after all .... however it would appear that once you get to see the doctor (hard as it may be), you are placed in better favour with the receptionists. I had no trouble booking my return visit next week, and I was able to secure a time convenient to me. No stress, no questioning, no doubting my need for medical attention.

It may be hard to get an appointment to see the GP or nurse, but it turns out once you are in ... you are in.

No comments:

Post a Comment