Friday 22 May 2009

Maternity leave is not a holiday ... honest!

Maternity leave is fantastic. What other chance in my life will I have to spend time bonding with my new baby, making new friends, visiting old friends, visiting family, relaxing, walking in the countryside, and joining social groups? Add to this the bonus of SMP so there is some money coming in, and the answer is easy ... none. This is a great time in my life where I have taken the opportunity to recoup and rejuvenate and recover some balance in my life.

When my Fabulous Boyfriend came home last night to a messy house with dirty dishes everywhere, clothes on the floor, baby toys strewn all around, nursery black out blind not finished, and dirty real nappies still not washed he made a subtle comment that even my baby brain managed to process. 'Maternity leave is not a holiday you know! You will not be allowed to play with your friends is you don't wash those nappies'

My Fabulous Boyfriend is right. Maternity leave is not a holiday. In between the joyful moments of playing with Baby E, feeding him, changing his nappy, going out for walks and visiting friends, I squeeze in time to shower, eat and if I am lucky I do the laundry. The fact that when Baby E is asleep I sit and relax, do some writing, sewing or just watch TV rather than do boring chores means that I am no more organised than when I was at work, but it makes my time on maternity leave that little bit more enjoyable.

It is easy for me to procrastinate and put things off until tomorrow, tomorrows tomorrow or even tomorrows tomorrow tomorrow. Life will not stop because I have not done the laundry, we will just not have any clean clothes to wear.

Things I have learned to do in an attempt to achieve more in less time
* Don't answer the phone ... that is what the answer machine is for. If I were at work, no-one would be here to answer it.
* Don't think about it ... just do it. Try to do each task in 15 minutes, no matter how big.
* Organisation takes commitment. I am still working on this one. I simply have not inherited the nesting gene


So yes, my maternity leave is a little like a holiday. A holiday with no all you can eat buffet, no lying doing nothing but readying a book, no sun bathing, no alcohol any time of day or night, and most importantly no lie-ins! Mmmmm maybe it is not really a holiday after-all.

4 comments:

  1. Hi there Eve, just discovered your blog and it looks great. Will be following from now on! My parents used to live in the New Forest so I know it well - lovely part of the world. And we're not so far from you - just across the Solent on the sunny Isle of WIght!

    Have left a little award for you over at my place - to accept it, just right click on the image and save it, then upload onto your page. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, you enjoy your time with baby, it doesn't come round again and nappies will eventually get washed! I have just returned to work after a two year break and I never managed to get the house organised in all that time :) encouraging aren't I? I did however have great fun at toddlers

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I had the same issues, bf would come home and complain about the mess, lack of food, or what have you. And really, the day just flies by seemingly, and drag on at the same time.

    I attempted to gain control of it, and did so semi-successfully, but that's one of my main points, do something for fifteen minutes. Do the dishes or whatever pressing chore. Then read a book with baby, play, do a baby chore (wash, feed, etc), then do something for yourself. Repeat. All day long. LOL

    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mamma Po, thanks for my lovely award, it is my first and I am very touched with your lovely comments on your blog. I will pass the award on very soon I hope.

    Hi Mum Gone Mad. You are sooo right. I live my life thinking I can always do it tomorrow. I had visions of mecoming very organised during my mat leave, which has not happened, but I am most certainly having fun not doing it!

    Hi Margaria. I love the 15 minute rule. It is a shame I don't have the dedication to find more 15 minute periods in the day! I am sure it can all wait until my mext maternity leave!!!

    ReplyDelete