Thursday 28 May 2009

Baby Brain Incident No.1

The most surprising and unexpected change to my body when I was pregnant was my Baby Brain.

Baby Brain can be very stressful. It is clear to everyone around you and yourself that you are slower, more emotional and very forgetful. Most of the stresses related to baby brain are imposed by ourselves ... by ME! No-one wants to admit they are not keeping up with the pace in life, and I constantly worried that people would not think me as capable or balanced.

So, I decided to appreciate the comic value of my pregnant behavior. It is true that Baby Brain can be all of the above and more, but it is also very very entertaining.

Here is Baby Brain Incident No.1

Crying at the TV Incident No.1 - Animal Park
When - 2nd Trimester - 18weeks pregnant. 8th June 2008.

Animal Park = behind the scenes stories of Longleat Safari Park and Stately Home. Whilst I have great emotional ties to the surrounding area of Longleat having grown up only 25miles from the beautiful park, scenes of the west country are is not normally enough to make me cry.

It is worth noting that this particular episode of Animal Park was being shown during the CBBC Sunday morning schedule. It is therefore assumed that it is child friendly and does not contain any distressing scenes. The episode featured a poorly tiger who was undergoing treatment for an illness. I have no memory of what illness the tiger had which I think demonstrates the importance of the programme to me in my everyday life. Whilst the programme left the tiger recovering from his operation to visit another part of the park, my Fabulous Boyfriend popped to have a shower, and asked me to let him know how our new fury friend fared.

Animal Park announced they were going back to see how the tiger was doing. I shouted to my Fabulous Boyfriend 'the tiger the tiger, he's OK', but I spoke too soon. Ben Fogle put on his most sympathetic voice and told us that sadly the tiger did not make it! 'Oh no!' I shouted again, and, as I said the words I started sobbing in a comedy manner fit for a Jane Austin novel. If you have ever seen the famous BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice (no ... not the scene when Mr Darcy emerges from the lake with his shirt all wet ... that is another story!), I mean when Alison Steadman playing Mrs Bennett finds out Lydia has eloped! She sobs in a comedy over the top stylee. There I was doing the same at the TV! I shouted/sobbed 'the tiger has died' although my Fabulous Boyfriend could barely understand me as I was almost inaudible at this point.

BBC Animal Park then showed a montage of the tigers life and the powerful bond he had with his keeper. They had literally grown up together in the same house. The keepers father used to work on the park and helped to raise the tiger at the same time as his son. They both played together as children/cubs, they were practically brothers (if that is at all possible between a tiger and a boy). As the music played over the film/photo montage, I knew there was no going back, my Baby Brain was now in control!

4 comments:

  1. Oh this is so me - I too cry at all things baby/animal related. I have to say though, since having my two children I now cry far less at animal stories and far more at baby stories - it's something I have no control over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sorry to tell you baby brain is here to stay - my mind has never recovered, but like you say it is added entertainment value - funny post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maternal Tales and The wife of bold. Thanks for your lovely comments. Baby Brain is certainly an un-controlable afliction. How far will it go? When will it end? We shall just have to wait and see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My baby brain has never recovered either. When I was pregnant I watched the 100 most weepy moments on TV (foolish woman, did I know nothing!). Anyway they should the clip in animal hospital with rolf harris when a big burly trucker bought his dog in for what he thought was a minor vets visit but the dog had to be put down. He was crying, Rolf was crying, I suspect the TV camera man was crying and I cried for a week. Seriously. I had to lock myself into the loos at work for a good howl. In fact, feel myself get a bit stingy around the eyes now just typing it. I have no idea if baby brain goes away, but Adam is now four so it isn't looking good!

    ReplyDelete