Tuesday 25 May 2010

I would rather eat my words!

I used to think (or hope) that once you gave birth you were bestowed with the natural ability to bake.

I remember a wonderful childhood filled with the scent of freshly made bread, home made christmas cakes, cookies, victoria sponges and home made bakewell tarts.  My Mummy is not the best chef (anything beyond scrambled eggs is a no go zone) but seemed to be great at baking us goodies when we were children.

Sadely, something went wrong during the birth of Little E, any small tallent i had for baking (and there was not much) simply disappeared.

Recently one weekend  morning while Little E took his nap I took the time to make him some banana muffins. Rather than restore my faith in home baking, the experience has become the final nail in the coffin of my baking career.

Little E's first reaction was curiosity  at what the little coloured cases contained, grabbing one and nibbling the top saying "mmm yum".  It turns out he was just humouring the Mummy as seconds later he was spitting it out!

I once read it can  up to 7 tries for a baby to eat new food.  Armed with this knowledge I tried giving Little E another muffin the next night. Little E was not messing this time.  He enthusiastically tore the muffin in half, raised his arm and threw the muffin at the Mummy!

Message received loud and clear, it is game over on the baking front!

No comments:

Post a Comment